Vegan option, gluten free option.
All of these ingredients can be purchased at a grocery store like Nature’s Fare. I used all organic ingredients.
This burrito bowl has all the things we love about a burrito! . It has tons of flavour, it’s warm, spicy, and oh so tasty. You won’t be missing your high calorie, high fat, high gluten burrito when you’re eating this bowl. You will feel satisfied, but also feel great from eating such good quality ingredients. This recipe will make 4 servings, so it’s great to serve as leftovers the next day, or take for lunch if it’s just you, or just the two of you.
- 1lb pack lean ground turkey (for a vegetarian or vegan meal, just omit this meat!)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 sweet peppers diced
- 1/2 cup each cooked black beans, and chick peas (if you are having this meal meatless, you can add more beans if you like)
- 1/2 cup diced cabbage (I used purple, but white will work too)
- 1tsp herbamare
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (if you do not like too spicy, go easy on this one)
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce
- 1 sliced avocado for garnish
- Desired amount of cooked quinoa or brown rice to put in the bottom of your bowl.
Avacado lime dressing:
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 large ripe avacado
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1TB almond milk (I used this to make the dressing a bit more runny, use your discretion)
Saute the diced veggies (except for the romain lettuce) for a few minutes in a little bit of coconut oil. Add the ground turkey and cook all the way through, stirring frequently. Add the cooked beans and seasonings. Taste it to make sure its to your liking. You may need to add more cayenne, or more salt and pepper.
Dressing: place all ingredients in a small food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. If it seems a bit too thick, just add a small amount of non dairy milk to make it more “blendable”
In a bowl, make a bed quinoia or brown rice on top fresh chopped romaine. Add the meat and bean mixture on top, and then drizzle or dollop the dressing on top. At this point everyone will want to customize their toppings. Make sure to have fresh salsa, lime wedges, chopped cilantro, cooked quinoa, and cooked brown rice available to customize this bowl. It’s hard to go wrong here 🙂 Enjoy!