Need a little accessory to jazz up all the brown rice you’ve been eating? This delicious and healthy turkey ball recipe will bring some joy to those clean eating dinners.
- 1 lb/500 g ground turkey (approximately)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) flax seeds (about 1.5 tablespoons whole seeds). I like to leave some of the seeds whole for added texture.
- 1/2 cup (75 ml) onion (about 1/2 medium sized onion), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (75 ml) carrot (about 1/2 medium sized carrot), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) dried basil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) low fat parmesan cheese, freshly grated (you could also use a low fat feta)
Put the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Take a fork or spoon and break it up.
Finely chop the carrot, onion, garlic. Add to the bowl with the ground turkey
Chop the rosemary. Add this and the other herbs to the bowl with the other ingredients.
Grate the parmesan cheese and add to the bowl with the other ingredients. .
Squeeze the juice of one lemon into the bowl with the other ingredients.
Add the egg to the bowl with the other ingredients. .
Add a pinch of salt and a few grinds of fresh pepper to the mixture.
Take a fork or spoon and mix all of the ingredients together. When well mixed, form the mixture into little balls with your hands. I formed mine into about 1.5 inch (3 cm) balls – they would be great slightly smaller or bigger I am sure.
In a suitably sized saucepan (non-stick or well-seasoned cast iron), over medium high heat, with coconut oil added to the saucepan, lightly brown the meatballs all over and then cook until cooked through. I cut one in half to check for doneness. I also find it helps to keep them moist if you add a splash of water and cover the saucepan to basically steam them until cooked (after browning).
Brown Rice Crispie Peanut Butter Protein Bars
As I was prepping my meals for the week, I came across my friend Sandy’s blog and this delicious protein bar recipe. These bars will curb those cravings and give that body the boost it needs before or after your workouts.
Head over to Shred till your dead and check out this deliciousness!