Today was a big day in our house.
After making the decision to take Bennett out of pre-school late last fall (read story here) Bennett decided a couple of weeks ago he was ready to give it another shot. Today was his first full day back and I couldn’t be more proud of my little man! He continues to persevere through all that comes with new schools, new friends, a new home and leaving behind pre-school teachers who he felt so safe with (we miss you so much Miss Lori and Miss Mary Jane.)
I cried like a baby after dropping him off. I was so proud that he worked through his fear of leaving me and I was proud of myself for listening to my mom gut and not pushing Bennett when he wasn’t ready. Now he’s ready! He walked into school so confident, had the best day, and can’t wait to go back!!!
Celebrations were in order for him and I, so I decided today was the perfect day to make these beautiful and delicious Valentine’s Day donuts. Every year I promise myself I will do some sort of fun baking for Valentines and every year it gets away from me! Not this year! These donuts are the perfect amount of sweet and completely guilt free! I love finding recipes and re-working them to fit into both mine and my clients meal plans.
These pretty in pink donuts were a massive hit in our house today! I will be making another batch this weekend for the kid’s school snacks this upcoming week, because they cleared me out tonight.
This recipe was originally from Healthy French Wife. I just re-worked a couple things to make it work for my family. Claire’s recipes are amazing! Make sure to check her out.
- 2 cups of all purpose gluten free flower
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp of sea salt
- 1 ¼ cup of almond milk
- 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
Pink Coconut Glaze:
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tbap of maple syrup
- Beet juice. I used just a few drops for colour . Don’t overuse or it will change the flavour of the frosting.
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- Toppings: dried rose petals, shredded coconut
- Place a can of coconut milk in your fridge while making the donuts;
- Preheat your oven to 440 degrees Fahrenheit ;
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl;
- In a greased donut pan, pour the batter until two-third full;
- Bake for 15-20 minutes;
- Leave the donuts to cool;
- Mix the glaze ingredients together using the solid coconut milk at the top of the can and a few drops of pink natural food coloring at a time.
- Dip each donut in the glaze and top with dried rose petals or shredded coconut.